In the morning, nothing beats a warm and filling breakfast to start your day off right. This easy French toast recipe can be whipped up in no time, using ingredients that you likely have on hand. Best of all, it’s cheap and won’t break the bank.
What is French Toast?
French toast is a dish consisting of slices of bread soaked in eggs and milk, then fried. It is often served with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or fruit. French toast was originally created as a way to use up old bread, and is thought to have originated in medieval France or Italy.
What is the best bread for french toast?
There is no definitive answer to the best bread for French toast. However, there are a few things to consider when making your decision. For starters, you’ll want a bread that is sturdy enough to withstand being soaked in egg and milk mixture, but also has a bit of a crumb so it doesn’t turn into a soggy mess. Brioche or Challah are two good options, as they are both rich and flavorful. If you’re looking for something a little more traditional, go with an Italian or French loaf. Whatever bread you choose, make sure it is fresh and not too dry.
French Toast Toppings
There are endless possibilities when it comes to french toast toppings. From the classic maple syrup to savory options like bacon or sausage, the combinations are endless.
There are endless toppings you could put on french toast, but some are definitely better than others. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Fresh fruit – This is a classic topping for french toast and it’s always a good choice. There are so many different types of fruit to choose from, so you can find something that everyone will love.
- Syrup – Whether you use maple syrup, honey, or another type of syrup, it’s a classic topping for french toast and it always tastes delicious.
- Jam – A little bit of jam on top of your french toast is the perfect way to add some sweetness and flavor. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover jam that you have.
- Powdered sugar – Another classic topping for french toast is powdered sugar.
- 8 slices of your Favorite Bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup your favorite milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar (sweetener)
- Heat your skillet or griddle to medium low heat and add butter to pan
- Dip bread in egg mixture and coat on both sides of the bread
- Place in preheated and buttered skillet or griddle and cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden