Indulge in the warm embrace of autumn with a dessert that captures the essence of the season like no other. Milk Bar’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe is a delightful twist on a classic favorite, infusing it with a dash of creativity and a whole lot of deliciousness.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into the world of Milk Bar’s renowned bakery and unveil the secrets behind their exceptional Pumpkin Pie Recipe. From the velvety-smooth pumpkin filling to the delectable pie crust, we’ll walk you through the steps to create a dessert that will steal the spotlight.
So, grab your apron and get ready to embark on a pumpkin-infused journey that will have you falling in love with fall all over again.
Ingredients Required for Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 batch of your favorite pie dough (or a pre-made pie crust)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (or freshly grated nutmeg)
- 3 large room temperature eggs
- 1, 12-ounce can of evaporated milk (or heavy cream for a richer pie)
- 1, 12-ounce can of pumpkin puree (or homemade pumpkin puree)
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon allspice or cardamom for extra spice
Equipment & Tools Need for This Recipe
- Rolling Pin
- Pie Dish
- Pastry Mat (optional)
- Parchment Paper
- Pie Weights or Dried Beans
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Preparation Time: Approximately 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes for blind baking + 40 minutes for baking the pie
How to Make Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie Step by Step
1. Preparing the Crust:
– If you’re using homemade pie dough, roll it out to about ¼” thick to fit your pie dish.
– If using a pre-made crust, you can skip this step and move to the filling.
2. Lining the Pie Dish:
– Carefully transfer the pie dough into your pie dish, ensuring it covers the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough, leaving about 1 inch hanging over the edge.
– Fold the excess dough under to create a thick, clean edge. You can crimp the edge with your fingers or a fork.
3. Chilling the Crust:
– Place the pie dish with the crust in the freezer for at least 20 minutes to firm it up. This step helps prevent the crust from shrinking during baking.
4. Preparing for Blind Baking:
– Preheat your oven to 425°F (or 400°F if using a pre-made crust).
– Take a sheet of parchment paper and cut it into a circle to fit your pie dish.
– Place the parchment paper inside the pie crust and add pie weights (dried beans or pie weights) to keep the crust from puffing up during baking.
5. Blind Baking:
– Place the crust in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes. This step ensures that the crust is partially cooked before adding the filling.
– After 15 minutes, remove the weights and parchment paper, and return the crust to the oven for a few more minutes until it starts to take on some color. Set aside to cool.
6. Making the Filling:
– In a mixing bowl, combine the packed brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, and ground nutmeg (or freshly grated nutmeg).
– Whisk the dry ingredients together until well mixed.
7. Adding Pumpkin and Milk:
– Add the pumpkin puree to the dry ingredients.
– Pour in the room temperature eggs and the can of evaporated milk (or cream).
– Optional: If you’d like extra spice, you can add ¼ teaspoon of allspice or cardamom.
– Whisk the filling until it becomes silky smooth, ensuring there are no lumps.
8. Filling the Crust:
– Pour the pumpkin filling into the pre-baked pie crust.
– Preheat your oven to 400°F (if you had it at 425°F for blind baking).
– Place the filled pie in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
– Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for approximately 40 minutes, or until the center of the pie jiggles softly when gently shaken.
10. Cooling and Serving:
– Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before slicing.
– Serve your pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
Please take a moment to watch the recipe video for a more comprehensive understanding of the process.
Creative Serving Ideas for Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie
1. Whipped Cream Dreams: Top each slice of Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie with a generous dollop of freshly whipped cream. You can even flavor the whipped cream with a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg for an extra layer of flavor.
2. Caramel Drizzle: Drizzle warm caramel sauce over the pie just before serving. The rich caramel complements the pumpkin flavor beautifully.
3. Toasted Pecans: Sprinkle a handful of toasted pecans or candied pecans on top of each slice for a delightful crunch and nutty flavor contrast.
4. Vanilla Ice Cream: Serve each slice with a scoop of high-quality vanilla ice cream. The creamy ice cream pairs wonderfully with the spiced pumpkin filling.
5. Maple Syrup Glaze: Brush a light layer of warm maple syrup on top of the pie for a sweet and glossy finish. It adds a lovely autumn touch.
6. Chocolate Shavings: Grate some dark chocolate over the pie slices for a unique twist on classic pumpkin pie. The chocolate enhances the flavors with its richness.
7. Gingersnap Crust Crumble: Crush some gingersnap cookies and sprinkle the crumbs around the edge of the pie or on top of each slice for a spicy, crunchy texture.
Some Special Recommendation and tips on this Recipe
1. Use High-Quality Ingredients: Start with fresh, high-quality ingredients, especially when it comes to the pumpkin puree, spices, and dairy. This will greatly enhance the flavor of your pie.
2. Homemade Pumpkin Puree: If possible, make your own pumpkin puree from scratch. Roasted pumpkins often have a richer flavor and texture compared to canned puree.
3. Adjust Spice Levels: Tailor the spice levels to your preference. Experiment with different spices like allspice, cardamom, or extra cinnamon to customize the flavor profile of your pie.
4. Blind Baking Perfection: When blind baking the crust, make sure it’s fully chilled before baking and use pie weights or dried beans to prevent the crust from puffing up. This step is crucial for a crisp crust.
5. Gentle Mixing: When combining the filling ingredients, mix gently and avoid overmixing. This helps maintain the silky texture of the custard.
6. Taste Test: Taste the filling before pouring it into the crust. Adjust the sweetness or spice levels as needed to suit your personal taste.
7. Whipped Cream Garnish: Serve your Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie with a generous dollop of freshly whipped cream. The contrast between the creamy pie and the airy whipped cream is delightful.
Frequently Asked Questions on Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie Recipe
In this section, we’ve compiled a list of most commonly asked questions on Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie Recipe along with concise answers
1. What is the Milk Bar Pie made of?
The Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie is made with a buttery pie crust and a filling consisting of pumpkin puree, spices, sugar, eggs, and milk or cream.
2. Is heavy cream or evaporated milk better for pumpkin pie?
Both heavy cream and evaporated milk can be used, but heavy cream results in a creamier and richer pie, while evaporated milk yields a slightly lighter texture.
3. Which is better for pumpkin pie, evaporated or condensed milk?
For pumpkin pie, evaporated milk is the preferred choice as it provides a creamy texture without the sweetness of condensed milk.
4. Can I use condensed milk instead of evaporated for pumpkin pie?
While you can technically use condensed milk, it will make your pie much sweeter, so be prepared for a sweeter and denser pumpkin pie.
5. Can I make the pie crust ahead of time and freeze it?
Yes, you can prepare the pie crust in advance and freeze it until you’re ready to use it. Just be sure to wrap it well to prevent freezer burn.
6. What type of pumpkin puree should I use?
You can use canned pumpkin puree or make your own by roasting and pureeing fresh pumpkins. Canned pumpkin puree is convenient and works well.
7. Do I need to blind bake the pie crust for this recipe?
No, blind baking is not required for this Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie recipe. You can simply fill the unbaked crust with the pumpkin filling and bake it.
8. Can I make this pie in advance and refrigerate it overnight?
Yes, you can make the pie ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. This can help the flavors meld and make serving on the day easier.
9. Should I serve the pie cold or at room temperature?
Pumpkin pie is typically served at room temperature, but you can also enjoy it chilled if you prefer.
10. Can I substitute the spices in the recipe with pumpkin pie spice blend?
Yes, you can substitute the individual spices with an equal amount of pumpkin pie spice blend for added convenience.
The Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie recipe is a true autumn delight that captures the essence of the season in every bite. With its rich, creamy filling that strikes the perfect balance between sweet and spiced, and a buttery, flaky crust that’s both nostalgic and comforting, this dessert is a must-try for pumpkin lovers and dessert enthusiasts alike.
What sets this recipe apart is the ingenious addition of Milk Bar’s signature Milk Crumbs, adding an irresistible texture and a touch of whimsy to the classic pumpkin pie. It’s a playful twist that elevates the entire dessert experience.
Whether you’re baking this pie for a holiday gathering or simply to satisfy your seasonal cravings, the Milk Bar Pumpkin Pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and get ready to savor a slice of pumpkin perfection that’s as delightful as a crisp fall day. Happy baking!
If you have anything to share with me please comment below. you can also get in touch with me on Pinterest.