Hey everyone! Today, I’m sharing a super simple, yet incredibly delicious snack recipe that’s a hit at my house: Pickle Ham Wraps. These little bites are perfect for when you need a quick snack, a fun appetizer, or just something easy and tasty to munch on. Let’s get wrapping!
- 1 pack of your favorite ham slices (I usually go for about 10 slices)
- 1 jar of dill pickles (medium-sized, whole pickles work best)
- Cream cheese (softened, for easy spreading)
- Toothpicks (for serving)
- Prep Your Ingredients: Lay out your ham slices on a clean surface. If your cream cheese isn’t soft yet, give it a quick zap in the microwave for a few seconds – just enough to make it spreadable.
- Spread the Cream Cheese: Take a knife or a spatula and spread a thin layer of cream cheese over each ham slice. You want enough to taste it but not so much that it overwhelms the other flavors.
- Pickle Time: Grab your pickles and pat them dry with a paper towel. This step is crucial because it helps the ham stick to the pickle.
- Wrap It Up: Place a pickle at one end of a ham slice and roll it up tightly. The cream cheese acts like a tasty glue, keeping everything together.
- Serving Time: Once you’ve got your pickle wrapped up, slice it into bite-sized pieces, about an inch thick. Secure each piece with a toothpick. It makes them easy to grab and eat, plus it looks pretty neat.
What Kind of Ham Do I Use for Pickle Ham Wraps?
Great question! The type of ham you use for these roll-ups can really make a difference in flavor and texture. Here’s my take on the best ham for this snack:
- Deli Ham: I personally prefer using deli ham for these roll-ups. It’s thinly sliced, which makes it easy to roll, and it comes in a variety of flavors. Depending on your taste preference, you can choose from honey ham, smoked ham, or even black forest ham.
- Avoid Thick Cut: Thick-cut ham slices can be a bit too bulky and tough to roll. Stick with thinly sliced ham for the best results.
- Quality Matters: Opt for a higher quality ham if you can. It tends to have better flavor and texture, enhancing the wraps overall taste.
- Low-Sodium Options: If you’re watching your salt intake, look for low-sodium ham options. They’re just as delicious but won’t overpower the pickle’s tangy flavor.
Remember, the ham is a key component of this snack, so choosing a type that you enjoy will make your roll-ups even more delicious. Happy wrapping!
Storage and Shelf Life:
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover Pickle Ham Wraps in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Shelf Life: They’re best enjoyed within 24 hours, but they can last up to 2 days. After that, the ham might start to dry out, and the pickles can lose their crunch.
- Switch the Meat: Not a fan of ham? Try turkey or roast beef slices for a different twist.
- Cheese Choices: Swap out cream cheese for flavored cream cheese, like chive or garlic, for an extra flavor kick.
- Add Some Crunch: Add a thin slice of cucumber or bell pepper inside the wrap for added crunch and freshness.
Pickle Ham Wraps go great with:
- Crackers and Cheese: Serve them alongside a cheese board for a fun appetizer spread.
- Fresh Veggies: Pair with a veggie platter for a balanced snack.
- Cold Beverages: They’re perfect with cold beers, iced tea, or your favorite soda.
Pickle Ham Wraps are a no-fuss, flavor-packed snack that’s always a crowd-pleaser. They’re salty, tangy, and have just the right amount of creaminess from the cheese. Plus, they’re so easy to make, you can whip them up in no time. Give them a try for your next party, picnic, or just a fun snack at home. Enjoy!